Content Marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing… It all sounds like too much to handle. Indeed, the task of online marketing can be overwhelming. Where should you start? What is effective? How can you best attract the right prospects that are ready to buy your product or service? Where will you find the time?
We’ve boiled down all of the big phrases and concepts of content marketing into a simple 5 step checklist.
1. Define Your Audience - If youÂ haven’tÂ done this already, a survey of your current customers can shed valuable nuggets of insight as to who your target audience is. Simply send aÂ questionnaire out in your next email newsletter. To get you started, here is a example survey you might use. Adjust it to your situation and add questions specific to your products or services. You’ll be surprised at the things you will learn.
** Survey Pro Tip **
Create a Google “Form” (found inside Google Docs) to survey your customers with. Google Forms allow for several different question types, including multiple choice and text input. You can include a link to your form in your newsletter. The best part? The answers to your survey are automatically saved in a Google Spreadsheet. Here is a video that show’s how google forms work.
2. Determine the problem or challenge that your specific product or service solves for your customers. What is the benefit to the customer? List them out. Avoid Â listing features. Concentrate on how your offering saves the customer time, or helps them lose weight, or saves them money, instead of things like: “My widget has carbon fiber beams.”
3. Create a blog that will be the central hub, a database of useful information and content related to your product or service. Publish helpful solutions to your customer’s problems. Create a publishing schedule and stick with it!Â ConsistencyÂ counts. The content you publish here should establish you as the expert in your field. Your target market should be able to learn everything they need to know about your product and service and the related industry from your blog. Use the content to teach andÂ persuadeÂ them that they need what you offer.
** Blog Pro Tip **
WeÂ recommendÂ using WordPress to manage your blog. WordPress is a free blogging platform that makes it easy to manage and publish content. WordPress can be seamlessly integrated into your existing website.
Need help setting up,Â integrating or designing a blog? We would be glad to help. Contact us for a free estimate.
4. Â Measure your efforts. As you start publishing content on your blog, use the traffic information to determine which pieces of contentÂ receiveÂ the most interest. How many comments does each post get?Â MeasureÂ and test different types of content against each other. Do your potential customers watch your videos, or do they prefer to read text posts. Digging into the analytics can help you answer theseÂ questions.
5. Build an audience and drive traffic by republishing your blog content on the other social media sites. Make use of Twitter, Flickr, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube. Share your valuable content with people that are already talking about the topic. As they learn that you have a valuable source of information that they need, as well as an excellent product or service to support it, they will convert to paying customers. Getting active on social networks will also improve your SEO. Read: How Does Social Media Effect SEO?